The enjoyment of the archaeological sightseeing is here!
See the splendor of the “Minoan civilization” that you will find in the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion and the archaeological sites of Knossos and Phaistos!
The capital of Crete is Heraklion that has a lot of beautiful places everywhere … the amazing fortress of Koules, the entrance of the old Venetian harbor, classic central streets, and Morosini fountain (the water runs from the mouths of 4 lions) and the tomb of the great writer Nikos Kazantzakis.
You can also experience the shopping fever in its market, with numerous pavement cafés that are located in the center. In Archanes you will see the modern tourist infrastructure among the beautiful villages. This is the seaside tourist resorts with sandy beaches compete with its picturesque villages, Byzantine churches and monasteries, plains and mountains.
Sites for seeing in Heraklion
– Knossos: the famous ancient city with its palaces (“Prince of the Lilies”).
– Phaistos: the palace and the archaeological site that was religious, economic and administrative center of the Minoan era.
– Tylisos: Minoan palace.
– The picturesque village Fodele: here was born the famous painter Dominic El Greco. The small chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary that was provided the impetus to deal with the iconography and more generally with religious themes. Visit also the El Greco Museum, where you can find painter’s work-office and many copies of his works.
– Monastery Koudouma: The Monastery of Panaghia on southern Crete, that is located under the shadow of Mount Kofinas
– In Hersonissos you will play Golf – is the largest and most modern stadium in Greece.
– In the lake Zaros you will eat fresh trout
– In Peza visit three wineries, tasting rooms and presentation halls.
– In Vora, Limenas and Malia you will find beaches that combine luxury, style and rampant low budget tourism.
– Agia Pelagia – the small, green bay with crystal clear water. It is so unique beach where you can dive.
– If you are looking for beautiful beaches and lively nightlife with cosmopolitan character, the seaside town of Hersonissos can provide you all that you need.
– If you want something quieter than Hersonissos and Malia, Stalis offers you also one of the beautiful beaches.
In Matala almost you will swim in front of the legendary cave where the hippies (flowers children) lived on 70΄ s. The beach is organized, and it is close to the Red Sand.
– Agiofarago: If you are looking for a truly isolated and inaccessible beach, Agiofarago, near Matala is ideal one for you. You will discover perched lap of a steep ravine, covered with pebbles and crystal-clear waters. To get there you should go by boat from the Red Tower, Agia Galini or Kaloi Limenes. It is really worth to seeing!